Name

Garry Greenwood

Biography

Garry Greenwood 1999

Garry was born in Kent, England in 1943. He studied Art and Design at Reigate School of Art in Surrey, England and immigrated to Australia in 1962. After working as a freelance artist/ designer in Sydney, he moved to Tasmania where he established a studio and gallery at the Bowerbank Mill, Deloraine, in 1972.

Having pioneered the use of leather as a sculptural medium, Garry is internationally and nationally recognised as a leader in his field and is represented in many major collections throughout the world. He has designed sets, costumes, masks and leather instruments for performances in Australia and Internationally. His connection with music, dance and theatre has resulted in many successful collaborations with a variety of artists and companies in areas such as: concept and design, music composition, leather musical instruments, leather masks, puppets and costume.

Garry's work is widely represented in corporate, institutional and private collections throughout Australia, USA, Canada, Japan and Europe including the Australian National Gallery, most Australian State Galleries, the Victorian Arts Centre, the Colomer Collection, Vic Catalunya, Spain, Leder 98, Switzerland, German Leather and Shoe Museum Germany, the Dutch Leather Museum, Netherlands and the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto, Canada. Garry has had many public, corporate and private commissions including: Westpac Banking Corporation, Zoma International, ICM, the Australian Stockmen's Hall of Fame and the Australian Meat Research Corporation. His work has been featured in many publications including: Craft Australia, Australian Sculpture, Art and Australia, Craft Arts International, The Craft Movement in Australia and Art and Craft (Korea).

Garry collaborated with Karen Pearlman and Richard James Allen to create the music for 13 Acts of Unfulfilled Love in 1996. Two of Garry's costumes titled 'Praxis' and 'Ace of Spades', specifically designed for his 1998 collaboration with Tasdance in Skin Deep, were part of exhibitions in Switzerland and Germany.